Monday, January 10, 2011

Video Project

The Topic: Gender orientated in regards to Feminism and Sexuality. I chose this topic because to me these women choose to objectify themselves and conform to gender stereotypes. They do this to promote sexuality, sell records and essentially themselves. By adhering to these specific roles, the media has undeniably made women think that they must act a certain way in order to gain notoriety. There seems to be a growing trend among female musicians that I personally do not agree with. Sexuality is safe, sex sells, if women are sexy, records will sell.

The Story: I will make a music video where I will use tactics that women in the media seem to use to sell records and music. I believe that it is possible to sexualize anything if you so choose it to be. Therefore, I will make this point by making a music video to a completely sex neutral song. By doing this, I hope that I can prove to what I believe to be true.

Software: I will be using iMovie to make my video. I want this to appear as if it is actually a music video. Using iMovie will help convey the message, rather than using a slide show.

Research: I will start by looking  into many different videos that I believe follow the trend that I am trying to prove. With the media the way it is today, I know I will have no problem finding examples that I can use in my music video. I will make this educational for viewers by making the juxtaposition between the un sexual song and the very sexual imaging clear. As viewers, who are so jaded by the amount of sexuality we encounter in the media and videos, we often overlook or do not realize to what extent this type of content is utilized. As a society we generally openly and unthoughtfully accept the amount of sex we accept into our lives: in our music, movies and other media.

Timeline:

January 10th- I will be using iMovie to briefly outline a music video. It will be in way, shape, or form the finished project, but I am excited about this project and want to get something down.

The rest of my timeline will be based on each day. I will write out a script, put together costumes and edit my music video.

Take Away Message: I want people to understand and realize what is going on in the media. Whether people realize it or not, there is so much sex in the media, sometimes its not even obvious.

4 comments:

  1. Emily: This sounds like a very interesting project. I like the idea of juxtaposing the very un-sexual song with the hyper-sexualized images of contemporary femininity. In Dreamworlds, a documentary about music videos, Director Sut Jhally often takes away the music audio to force the listener to look only at the images. I sometimes suggest that students watch videos on MTV or BET but that they mute it. Because of the saturation of media, I think your project helps to shine light on a serious cultural problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very interested in this project! I have noticed the same things with woman in the media; it's quite embarrassing sometimes. It will be interesting to see how you put this together, I have no idea how to play with movies on the computer that much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Emily! I think you picked a great topic that is very relevant in our society today. I find it odd that a lot of female artists will make their music videos extremely provocative even if their lyrics seem to be about something not so provocative. But you're right, sex sells so I guess I can understand why they do it. I'm looking forward to seeing your video!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very creative! You chose a great topic, especially because this growing trend is getting more and more out of control. Female artists have become more and more sexualized in their videos for a few decades now. I agree that it has become a growing trend among female artists and we often overlook the ways in which we accept it into our lives. You make several good points, i look forward to seeing the video!

    ReplyDelete