Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Question B- Feminism

I'll probably get hit by someone for saying this, but I have to start off with the fact that yes, I think feminism has a seemingly bad label attached to it. Whether people want to admit this or not, its the truth. Not so much now, but if you had asked me what I believe feminism to be a couple years ago, my answer would have probably shocked you. All that would come to mind would be some sort of obnoxious, loud, woman, hootin' and hollerin' about independence and how she probably doesn't need to rely on any man, ever. Feminism probably would have annoyed me and I might not have even taken someone seriously back then.To me, this isn't the reality anymore.

The hardest part for me to come to terms with is that it seems that feminism can have many different definitions attached to it, and not just one. One of my friends who I find to be a very intelligent and interesting person, told me that she believed feminism to be a muddled and mixed up idea. She believed that it was wrong we have labeled girls as "sluts" if they sleep around. That it is their own body and can actually be empowered by being sexually promiscous. As much as I would love for this idea to be true, I don't really believe it, entirely. But for her, its her ideaology. My own mother is a self proclaimed feminist. "My body is my temple. I am my strongest supporter. I never need a man to take care of me. I am independent, hear me roar." That is roughly her idea of a feminist. Another friend I have thinks she is completely an empowered feminist because she has decided she wants to be a stay at home housewife and not a hardworking bsuiness woman. But to her, the fact that she can make that choice and hopefully make it without any stereotypical stigmas attached to it, makes her proud. By giving these examples I'm trying to relate that I don't think it has one core definition. I think it depends on the person. For me, feminism means that I understand my own self worth as a woman, that I am comfortable with the decisions that I make. I understand my own sexuality and I am proud to be a strong, self sufficient woman. To me, that is feminism.

No comments:

Post a Comment