Thursday, January 20, 2011

Quick Blog Post #6

I believe that I surround myself with many different age groups. Though, I recognize this is not the every day experience. I think that it is hard for some people at our age to be around other people of different ages, it just does not fit into the normal schedule. My grandmother is in a home, so I am around elderly people quite often. I find myself very comfortable around them and it brings me joy knowing my youth and enthusiasm bring them joy in return. I am around younger kids because my twin sister babysits full time for two little children. One boy and one girl, she often brings them to our apartment so I get to spend a lot of time around small children. I also have a niece and nephew and though I don't see them often, I do see them regularly though out the year. I don't think my personal experience is one of the norm, however. In our society we are constantly around people that are our own age. In college, you are always around only other college kids. Very rarely are you around elderly people. I think that it would benefit our society if we stayed in touch with elderly people more often. Often times we forget about that generation, and as they get older and drift off into homes, etc. we lose sight of them all together.  I think that our society has made it so that we are age segregated, we need to fix this by surrounding ourselves with other age groups, if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment