Saturday, January 15, 2011

Blog Post #8- Divided We Fall

Divided We Fall touched me deeply. I am so glad I had a chance to watch this. It absolutely blew my mind the amount of hate that was turned toward Middle Eastern looking people. The video brought up a very good point, how could we as Americans stand together against terrorism, yet we could so violently turn against each other? It was a simple thought but one I had never fully thought of. I'm surprised I hadn't because my parents best friends are from Iran. Many times they are targeted because of their ethnicity. People have even come up to them in the airport and made crude and racist remarks about terrorism. They brush it off and even try and make jokes about it, but it must be incredibly hard for them. They've done nothing wrong, they are amazing people, extremely intelligent and kind hearted. They are subjected to hate and ignorance because of their own religious beliefs and Arabic complexions. So terrible that we can turn on ourselves. We stand together to fight terrorism and try and tell other countries that they should be able to religiously practice on their own accord, yet we racially target others and condemn them for their own religious idea and expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment